Archive | Gap Year

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Work in the UK

Posted on 14 December 2009 by Sasha

With favourable exchange rates and the availability of budget flights, working in the UK is a great way to earn money and explore Europe.

London is a particularly popular destination for working holiday makers with a huge range of jobs particularly in hospitality and an efficient public transport system that makes travelling to all corners of the city only a bus or tube ride away.  The thing to consider when deciding whether or not to work in the UK is cost of living with prices in the UK fairly high and wages relatively low compared to places like Australia and New Zealand.


Working Holiday Maker Visa

The UK currently has a 2 year working holiday visa available to commonwealth citizens between the ages of 18-31.  The scheme has recently been changed to allow you to work for the entire 24 months of the visa compared to the previous 12 month restriction.  Below is an excerpt from the UK Border Agency website.

You can apply if you:

  • are a citizen of a country taking part in the scheme or a British overseas citizen, British overseas  territories citizen or a British national (overseas);
  • are 18 years old or over when your visa lets you come to the United Kingdom (becomes valid) and under  31 years old when you apply;
  •  have £1,600 in available maintenance (funds) when you apply .


Finding a Job

There are lots of UK job search sites that have thousands of job listings throughout the UK, a search in google will bring up a myriad of options.  If you know what region you want to work, find out what the local newspaper is and look up the job section and classifieds on their website.

There are lots of companies and travel agents that have kick start packages with guaranteed job placements before you leave home, UK bank account setup, pre arranged accommodation, assistance obtaining a visa, insurance and ongoing support once in the country.  These packages are fantastic as they take the stress out of finding a job, they do however charge a start up fee.     1st Contact and BritBound have a fantastic package to help kick-start your new life in the UK.

Working in Hospitality



Pub jobs are particularly popular in London as they are easy to come by, flexible, with often no experience required and frequently have  accommodation and some meals included.  Good news if you’re an Aussie or Kiwi, UK pub employers love to hire you because of you easygoing attitude and downright hilarious accent.  If the live in English Pub experience sound like the job for you check out the London Pub Company and UK Live in Jobs.


Student Placements Australia has a fantastic program for people seeking to work in hotels around the UK.  As part of the program you will receive a weeks training at the prestigious European Hotel Academy in Germany, visa assistance and a pre-arranged job within a hotel in the areas of either reception, housekeeping, bar or restaurant.

Work with Children


PGL Activity Centres is the UK’s top provider of school trips, adventure courses, summer camps and more.  They have a range of gap year, seasonal, live-in and part time work across a range of areas including activity instructing & education, catering, housekeeping and more.


More Info…

  • Download your free London Guide form 1st Contact.
  • TNT Magazine is a free expat publication that can be found all around the UK, their website has job and accommodation listings, travel information, tips on moving to London and everything you want to know about London entertainment.
  • Restless World has an abundance of information on visa’s, starting a bank account, payroll and tax services and lots of other great info about working in the UK.
  • Moving to London is a really fantastic resource for those thinking of making the move, it has great information on Where to live in London, Working and more.
  • London Hostels offers long term affordable accommodation options in hostels all around London.
  • A great read is ‘Guide to Living & Working in the UK and Ireland’ by Andrea Woodman.  This book has great tips and information from an expat who took the plunge, moved to the UK and never left.
  • Share/Bookmark

Comments (0)

Tags: , , , ,

Finding Work Abroad

Posted on 06 December 2009 by Sasha

Looking for a job abroad can be a very daunting task.  There are many great programs and sites that are designed to make finding work and setting up temporary home in another country a breeze. Many of these programs make it possible to secure your job before you leave home making the whole process a lot less stressful.

Alternatively you can obtain a visa and look for jobs once you arrive in the country.  A great place to start is local newspapers and expat publications.

Anywork Anywhere is a fantastic job search site that lists jobs from all over the world across a huge range of industries you simply choose where you would like to work and what kind of jobs you’re after.

Global Work & Travel is a fantastic company that is dedicated to taking the stress out of finding work abroad.  They have exclusive deals with employers across a huge range of industries.  Not only do they help you land a job before you leave they also provide on going support once your there, help you find accommodation and provide fantastic travel packages and discounts.

International Exchange Programs (IEP) is a non-profit organisation that can help with all areas of a working holiday or volunteer trip. From visas, insurance and travel advice before you leave to jobs, housing, bank accounts, tax file numbers and social events when you’re living overseas. With programs in Canada, the UK, the USA, Ireland and a range of volunteer destinations, this is an affordable way to get your trip sorted.


Check out these other great working holiday programs…


Student Placement Australia

What kinds of jobs are out there?



Hospitality is one on the most popular industries for working holiday makers with jobs easy to come by with little or no experience required.  There are lots of opportunities to work in pubs, hotels, resorts and on cruise ships.  The downside with hospitality jobs is that they often pay low wages with long working hours, however they are great for travelling with most positions requiring you to be contracted for no more than 3 to 6 months.

Find Hospitality Jobs


Work at a Summer Camp

Working at a summer camp as a camp counsellor is a great job for active people who love to work with children.  As a counsellor you are responsible for a group of children as well as numerous camp activities.  There are an abundance of camp jobs in the USA and Canada, there are also a select few in Europe available to EU passport holders.  Placements typically last from 2 to 3 months and accommodations, meals and insurance is usually included.  It most cases they will require you to have previous experience working with children in a leadership role whether it be as a team captain or sports coach or volunteering with community projects.

Find Summer Camp Jobs

Au Pair

As an Au Pair you will work for a family caring for their children.  Jobs are widely available throughout Europe and the USA and there are many professional placements services that work to find the most suitable match for you and a family.

Find Au Pair Jobs

International Au Pair Association


Seasonal Work

Seasonal Work as the name suggests is short term work based on seasons.  The most common seasonal jobs are working at ski resorts, summer resorts, fruit picking and agriculture.

Find Seasonal Work


Teaching English

There are lots of opportunities to teach English abroad.  In developing nations English teachers are sought after and highly valued.  To get a paid teaching placement most schools with require you to have a TEFL or TESOL qualification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). There are a great range of these courses available including weekend courses and online courses.  Check out i-to-i for a fantastic range of online and combined TEFL courses and organised teaching placements and internships.

Find TEFL Jobs

Teachers Assistant with Letz Live

Working as a teacher’s assistant in a top boarding school is a great way to gain valuable experience that looks great on your CV.  Letz Live run a placement service placing recent school leavers and University graduates in schools throughout the UK, Singapore, Thailand, Canada and more.  You will get paid a weekly allowance, enough to fund much of your travels and will receive free accommodation and meals at the school where you are placed.  If your lucky enough you may even get to go on an all expenses paid trip with the school!!!

For more info on working abroad check out Working Abroad Magazine.

  • Share/Bookmark

Comments (0)

Working Holidays

Posted on 28 November 2009 by Sasha

Whether you are on a gap year fresh out of school or taking a career break a working holiday is a fantastic way to gain a local insight into a destination.  It is a great way to travel around a region while earning money to fund your adventures.  Any work aboard will give you valuable work experience as well as being an advantage when returning home since future employers will value this kind of experience.

There are many things you need to consider when thinking about going on a working holiday. Where you want to go, when and for how long, what kind of job you would like, what visas are required and where you will you live?

Smart Traveller has an abundance of information for Australian travellers wishing to work overseas including voting while abroad, reciprocal health care schemes and money matters.



It is a requirement for Australians who plan to work overseas to hold a work visa for the country in which they intend to work. Australia has working holiday schemes with many countries around the world which allows young Australians between the ages of 18-30 the opportunity to have an extended holiday while funding their travels through short term employment.

In general the program allows you to stay in an arranged country for at least 12 months from the date you first enter on your working holiday visa. The scheme has restrictions on how long you can work during the entire visa period and how long you can work with the same employer.

Great news if you want to work in the UK. The UK Working Holiday Making Visa has recently been changed to allow you to work the full 2 years of your visa as opposed to the 12 month restriction that previously applied.

For the most accurate information on individual countries working visa requirements contact the applicable consulate.  For more information on reciprocal Working Holiday Visa Schemes contact the Australian Government Department of Immigration.



It’s important to note that if you’re planning on a working holiday overseas it is a good idea to get comprehensive travel insurance to cover the entire length of your stay. For more info on travel insurance, check out the Travel Insurance page.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • Share/Bookmark

Comments (0)

Advertise Here

Photos from our Flickr stream

See all photos

Advertise Here
  • Network blog

    Get Adobe Flash playerPlugin by wordpress themes