Subscribe via RSS Feed Check out my pics on Flickr

Tips for Aussie Travellers

[ 0 ] November 30, 2009 |

Travel Advisories

Smart Traveller is the Australian Government Website for Australians Travelling overseas. It is important for anyone planning to travel overseas to check this website as it contains important up to date information on security, health and other issues that may affect Australian Travellers overseas.  They also have a registration section where you can register your travel details with the Department of Foreign Affairs so that they can find you in the event of an emergency such as a natural disaster, civil disturbance or family emergency.


Visalink  is the website travel agents use to get the most up to date information on visa and passport requirements for Australian’s travelling overseas.  More information on visa requirements can be found on the DFAT website including reciprocal working holiday visa schemes.


A passport is required for all Australian’s travelling overseas and yes you do need a passport to go to New Zealand!  Most adult passports are valid for 10 years, application can be submitted at most Australia Post shop fronts or through the Australian Government Passport Website.

Australian Embassies

At some point during your travels it may be necessary to get in contact with the Australian Embassy whether it’s in the event of an emergency or to get a lost passport replaced.  It is important to have a record of where the closest Australian Embassy is in proximity to the destinations you will be visiting.  It’s a good idea to have the contact detail of embassies programmed into your phone or written down somewhere among your emergency travel documents.


Australia has strict rules governing what items can be brought back into the country. Travel Bug is the Australian government website for quarantine. This website contains important information on shopping overseas, what you can bring back into Australia and duty free limits.

Driving Overseas

If you planning on hiring a car or doing any driving overseas then it’s a good idea to get an IDP (international drivers permit).

IDPs are accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification and are officially sanctioned by the United Nations.  It is a translation of your driver’s licence and must be carried with your domestic driver’s licence at all times.

For more information on IDP:

Australian Automobile Association

Check if you destination requires an IDP:

International Driving Requirements

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Travel Tips

About onurwaytravel: Colin has been travelling the world with his young family for the past 2 and half years. He runs a couple of websites all revolve around travel, family travel and digital nomadism. His websites include,, and now View author profile.

Leave a Reply

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.

CommentLuv badge